Senior Data Scientist
The EPFL Laboratory of Virology and Genetics (headed by prof. Didier Trono) is looking for a senior data scientist with sound experience in Machine Learning techniques. The team is part of the EPFL School of Life Sciences and offers a challenging and stimulating environment with outstanding career opportunities and excellent benefits.
The candidate will apply his/her advanced knowledge of ML algorithms over several huge cancer related datasets. This is a very applied field, with possible impact of data science on genomics and more broadly on personalized health / precision medicine.
The selected candidate will be located at the Health 2030 Genome Center (at Campus Biotech in Geneva) and at the EPFL campus in Lausanne. S/he will also collaborate closely with the SDSC.
Main duties and responsibilities include
The candidate must be highly motivated, like programming and be Unix-proficient. S/he will apply his/her practical experience in cleaning, mining and analysing huge volumes of data to develop Machine Learning solutions in the field of personalized health and precision medicine. Candidates are expected to possess deep experience in solving complex problems using data-driven methods. The ideal candidate also has good background in Big Data technologies.
Title: Master’s degree or PhD in Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Sciences or Electrical Engineering.
- Highly motivated
- Excellent communication skills
- Deep understanding of ML algorithms
- Unix and shell scripting
- Good programming ability. Fluent in python and/or R<
- Knowledge of statistics and data modeling
- English (French is a plus)
- Knowledge of Apache Spark
- Knowledge in biology in general and cancer biology in particular
- Full-time position with an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year.
- Salary and employment conditions are according to the regulations of the EPFL.